Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings (2011)

A group of college kids head to a friends cabin on a  snowmobile trip.  They end up getting lost, don't ever think to use their cell phones for GPS capabilities or a map, and with night falling and a snowstorm about to hit, spy a massive  building in the middle of nowhere.

The structure turns out to be an abandoned insane asylum which still has a generator that works, and is fairly clean.  Unfortunately for them it is also has three mutant hillbilly cannibals running amuck.  The same freaks that were there 30 years ago as children who were out of control at the beginning of the film. So.... they had to close down the asylum because the kids got loose in the halls? How did this place become abandoned?  Did the kids kill everyone and eat them?  And no one ever noticed?  And the mutants still live there 30 years later?  It's never explained and utterly implausible, but there you go.

Of course at some point their paths have to cross and it's trouble for the non-cannibals when they do since they end up being butchered, until they decide to fight back. This leads to the stupidest part of the film where the non-cannibals lock up the mutants. One guy wants to kill the mutants but one of the girls convinces him not to do it.  Then they decide to take turns standing watch over the cell the mutants are locked up in, but we all know how that's going to turn out.

Now I don't know about you, but if three mutant cannibal maniacs tortured, ate, and killed my friends (and I saw and heard some of it), and they were planning on killing me and the rest of my friends, I think I could kill them.  The fear of being killed would put me into survival mode.  Plus I'd worry that if I didn't, the mutants might escape and kill me.  Or they might find a way to kill other innocent people later on. Also I've watched too many horror movies so I know you never let the killer live because he'll freakin' kill you.

Even though I've seen the first two movies in this series, I wouldn't have known this was a prequel other than the description. I guess that's because I couldn't remember the characters names since I'm not a fan of inbred hillbilly cannibal movies but I do like movies with partying kids going some place they shouldn't and perishing. So at least it had that going for it.

No comments: