Sunday, January 3, 2010

Death Note (2006)

Law student Light is disturbed by how criminals can bypass the justice system and escape punishment for their crimes. After a run in with a murderer at a bar, Light stumbles across a notebook in the street. It is the death note. If a name is written in the death note, the person will die of a heart attack unless another method of death is specified.

Light starts killing criminals using the death note. The media and authorities take notice and the country becomes divided as to whether Kira - as he has been dubbed - is a hero or a murderer.

With the police powerless to track down Kira, they call in the mysterious L who has had success cracking other cases.

I was intrigued by the premise of the film, which is based on a manga. I haven't read it so I can't offer any comparison, but I really enjoyed the movie. The one thing I wish I'd known is that the conclusion of the story was released separately. So I was quite surprised after two hours of watching to find that there was no ending.

No comments: