Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Evil Dead (2013)

A group of friends goes to a cabin in the woods owned by David and Mia's parents.  They are there to help Mia detox and plan to stay for the weekend. Mia keeps saying that something smells awful, but no one else notices it.

Eventually they go into the basement and find a room full of dead animals hanging from the ceiling.  They also find a book which they bring upstairs.

Now if you found a book and it said DO NOT READ in huge red letters, and also told you not to read, speak, or think of the words, would you ignore its warning? Hell no! You should avoid that book like the plague.

We had an interesting discussion regarding going into the cellar and finding the book and dead animals.  At first we all said these kids were stupid for bringing the book upstairs and reading it. But after thinking some more, Michelle said she would probably do the same thing (she owns a bookstore and it would definitely peak her curiousity).

If a book had DO NOT READ on it, I probably wouldn't pay any attention to the warning. But when said book is found in a room with recently deceased animals hanging from the ceiling, that's a whole other story.  I would want to get the hell out of that cabin due to the dead animals.  If the animals were just bones, I would figure they'd been there a long time. I'd be creeped out but probably stay.  But newly dead animals tells me whoever killed them might be around and might come back.

So these stupid kids stay at the cabin and things go all wiggedy whack and people die.  It's actually not a bad movie, but I didn't care about the characters. But if a jeep falls on your arm and the ground is muddy, it will mess you up, but your arm will sink into the mud.  When my brother was a kid, his leg was run over by a 600 pound ox cart that was full of kids. The only reason his leg wasn't crushed was because it had been raining and the weight of the cart pushed his leg down into the mud.  Sure he was sore and used crutches for a week or so, but he didn't even break anything. And that was his freakin' leg....so there.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hated this one; I mean I'm already usually pretty anti-remake but my brother picked it and it was his turn so ok, we go to see. The only person I felt bad for was the nurse girlfriend, and she was the only one who had enough sense to go 'hey, detox chick's freaking out, we should GO'. By the time we got to the end, I wanted my money back so very much.

Chris Jart said...

I didn't have an interest in seeing this one, but my friends wanted to watch it. I thought it was okay, but there was no point to remake it. I couldn't believe there was actually a character who was actually smart enough to want to leave. And I'll never understand why finding recently murdered animals hanging from the ceiling in the basement wasn't enough to make them pick another place to do the detox. Stupid kids....