Friday, June 25, 2010

Urban Explorers: Into the Darkness (2007)

Being an amateur photographer with a degree in history, I am fascinated by old abandoned buildings. They are a study of the past with architectural character and beauty that is lacking in todays modern buildings. These neglected places were an important part of people's daily lives, but now they are left to decay. It's fascinating and sad at the same time. If I were in my twenties I would probably pursue urban exploring, but at this point in my life the prospect of being arrested, accosted, or injured is not worth it.

The film follows different groups of explorers as they head into sewers, castles in Scotland, the catacombs in Paris, and an old missile base in Florida, just to name a few. There are also interviews with explorers and some nice photographs which flesh out the sometimes dark film footage.

It's an interesting film and I enjoyed it. But it didn't completely grab me and I can't put my finger on exactly why. Still I would recommend it to anyone seeking to learn about urban exploring.

No comments: